rss
twitter

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Don't Feel The Need to Fight for My Right to Lead

I am blessed to serve in the Free Methodist Church, which is egalitarian by nature, holding the view, that the Bible teaches the fundamental equality of women and men of all racial and ethnic mixes, all economic classes, and all age groups, based on the teachings and example of Jesus Christ and the overarching principles of scripture.  I believe, as does the FMCiC that all people have equal responsibility to use their gifts and obey their calling to the glory of God; and are called to roles and ministries without regard to class, gender, or race.  That being said, there are still individuals within our denomination, and obviously those of other denominations that would not readily accept a woman in leadership.  Some of these objections are due to an arguably misinformed biblical interpretation.  The other objections are simply preference.  

The reality of my experience has been that there is more than one congregation out there, where a significant part of the adherents and membership would prefer a male Senior Pastor. I have had in depth, ongoing, conversations with individuals (men & women) who maintain this preference. They understand the FM stance, love being FM, but maintain their PREFERENCE that the senior pastor be male. I also understand in part the reason for their preference, I may not always agree, but understand. If enough people in the congregation prefer this - than that is the direction they will head.  

Now I could apply, and fight for my right to lead, and If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was called to a particular church that held these preferences I would apply and gently respond to their issue of preferences, trusting God to work in and through the process, (I've had to weigh this before). However if the definitive call was not there, I would respect their preferences (while keeping the conversation open in order to broaden both our perspectives and understanding) and move on, understanding every church has preferences but God has a plan.  

Some would say that when it comes to the hiring process this is discrimination and that we should not tolerate it.  I am in complete agreement, that it is sad that anyone has to face any sort of discrimination. It is discouraging that applicants and employees are not always attuned or obedient to the Lord's guiding.  I recognize that the church needs to mature in many areas including but not exclusive of this one.  Thank God for His sanctifying grace.

I also recognize however that I make up the church and there are areas that I need to focus on in my own spiritual growth and maturity in order to positively affect the whole.  I say this because my personal experience in this area of struggle as a woman in ministry was one that brought about some maturing.  My initial response was one of resentment, bitterness, confusion and frustration.  All fair but none very productive.  As I prayed and reasoned, and left room for open discussions with individuals of differing opinions, I came to the conclusion that my desire and call is to serve God and others well. This means going where God sends me, probably where I can be most effective given the time and place.  As I said in yesterday's post, I personally want the focus of my calling as pastor, and for my time and energies, to be about drawing people into a saving relationship with Christ and less about fighting this battle.

I realized that going to a church that is truly not ready for a woman senior pastor, where many will struggle with receiving, is not effective for me or for them and since it is really not about me, I figured let them have their senior male pastor, who will hopefully bring them to a place of understanding and maturity.

That being said, I am not condoning or accepting this preference, instead I want to walk alongside people and help them mature in their biblical understandings, and allow God to work in and through me, so that I might provide a positive and desirable example of a woman in leadership, so that they can overcome any inbred preferences.

My experience has been that the best way to do this is through relationship, even with those whose preferences are different from mine.  In getting to know them, and they me, I feel like I am gaining their respect as a pastor regardless of my gender.  One man said to me the first time he heard me speak, that my sermon was very powerful...for a woman.  I received it as a back handed compliment, but then realized that perhaps he had not heard very many, if any female preachers.  He had since been under my tutelage in discipleship classes, and though we did not always agree, I definitely felt that He respected me and the calling God has placed on me. 

I also believe that discrimination/preferences of all sorts take place in the hiring process, inside and outside of the church, though perhaps never labelled or presented as such.  Admittedly another area of maturing for myself, because in the interest of authenticity I have preferences, though God helping me, hopefully they do not get in the way of His will.

I've not yet felt the Need to Fight for my Right to Lead.  The Lord has led me to incredible positions of pastoral leadership that I am privileged to serve in and for that I am grateful.  I pray and know the Lord will do the same for each woman that he has equipped and called to pastoral ministry.  There may however, come a time, when I do face opposition in seeing God's will come to fruition, whether that be personally or on behalf of others. At that time, I will stand up and press forward knowing that it is the Lord who fights for me.  Till then, I will continue to serve where the Lord has placed me.  I will attentively listen for the voice of God, and pray that others do the same, and trust that in the end, the guidance and will of God wins out.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Doesn't sound like the bible works out too well for women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bible has served this woman well! It has caused me no stumbling block or hindrance, and in fact quite opposite. :D

    While we in our limited understanding, can argue our various points; based on the teachings and example of Jesus Christ and the overarching principles of scripture the Bible teaches the fundamental equality of women and men of all racial and ethnic mixes, all economic classes, and all age groups.

    I wish more people would approach their understanding of biblical teachings, and faith with the full breadth of what John Wesley called the Quadrilateral Equation. That we would look to Scripture for sure, and first and foremost, but not without reason/logic, tradition and experience contributing to the conversation.

    ReplyDelete